[erlang-questions] OTP 22.1 socket.erl somehow breaks message delivery or scheduler

Björn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Tue Oct 29 07:07:35 CET 2019

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 4:39 PM Andreas Schultz <
andreas.schultz@REDACTED> wrote:

> Am Mo., 28. Okt. 2019 um 15:22 Uhr schrieb Björn Gustavsson <
> bjorn@REDACTED>:
>
>> Thanks for reporting this issue.
>>
>> We have investigated the issue and found that it is a bug in the compiler.
>>

> wow. I have to say I'm a bit scared of OTP 22.x at the moment because of
> all the "bugs in the compiler" changes lately.
> Did the rewrite of the compiler in 22.0 cause all this or was it present
> before and just went unnoticed?

It is a new bug in OTP 22. This particular
bug was in the new optimization pass for
optimizing receives.

There are more details in our blog, but the short
story is that we had reached a dead end in the
compiler and that it was very time consuming
and error prone to add new optimizations to
the compiler.

Most of the reported compiler bugs in OTP 22
was of the kind that causes the compiler to crash.
Those bugs are annoying but basically harmless in
that they can't subtly change the meaning of your
program. Unfortunately, a few bugs were of the kind
that the compiler generated incorrect code.

Moving forward, the new compiler architecture
will give us a solid ground for further improvements
of the compiler.

/Björn