Binary, List and Tuple Inequalities (Paradox?)

Dmitry Belyaev be.dmitry@REDACTED
Fri Oct 25 17:35:20 CEST 2019

To me alphabetical ordering of lists (as legacy string representation) and binaries (as modern string representation) is natural, so it is expected that "aa" < "b" < "bb".

Not sure about binaries ordering which first checks the binary size, like "b" < "aa" < "bb" - I personally cannot find a suitable application for such ordering.

And about the lists. Their length is not known as for binaries. It can only be calculated with linear complexity. If you have a list 'aaa..a' of 50 elements and a list 'bbb..b' of 49, you'd have to make 49*2 iterations to determine which one is less. With the current implementation it is just 1 comparison.

--
Kind regards,
Dmitry Belyaev