[erlang-questions] Supporting a port number in spawn/4

Amit K klg.amit@REDACTED
Tue Oct 22 10:53:42 CEST 2019

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your feedback!
In general, I think it makes sense to have a solution for this that's built
in to OTP and not have to use an external proxy method.
Going more along the route of what you suggest, a sensible alternative
would be for epmd.exe to be able to accept TLS settings like the Erlang
node (erl.exe) does, and then communication with it will also be protected
by TLS. a quick look at the code makes me  guess that the reason that was
not done originally is that epmd is a small & separate utility written in C
and therefore it doesn't have the "crypto" framework like the other OTP
parts do.

Regards,
Amit