Inets http2 support

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Mon Nov 18 14:56:15 CET 2019

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 7:55 AM josh zinny <joshzinny@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I was wondering if http2/3 is one the roadmap for Inets? I know there's is
> Cowboy and Gun.
> However, I'm interested in the Inets httpd(http2). I have read the Erlang
> 22.1 documentation, but it only references http/1.1.
>
> Also, any suggestions on how to achieve this or a workaround will be
> greatly appreciated.

I do not know about the OTP team's plans with regards to supporting HTTP/2,
but I can say this: HTTP/2 is sufficiently complex and different from
HTTP/1.1 that it's not just a workaround to add support to it; it
essentially asks people to reimplement something reminiscent of SCTP over
TCP in order to provide multiple channels, and includes things like
reimplementing the sliding window mechanisms that exist within individual
TCP connections. The workaround to "wanting to use HTTP/2" is "use an
HTTP/2 library"; it's too complex to just add rapidly. If not Cowboy and
Gun, then something like Chatterbox can be an acceptable library, and if
these do not work, then using some sort of HTTP2-to-HTTP1 proxy, which some
service providers in the cloud can do for you, generally.

Regards,
Fred.