Nobody is unsubscribed

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Nov 4 17:30:30 CET 2019

On 04/11/2019 13:44, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 11:53:16AM +0100, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
>> For erlang.org itself there's two problems currently: no automatic
>> redirection from http to https;
>
> That seems to be the industry standard now, but I would like content to be
> accessible without having to use https.

Redirection is generally not great because you get redirected every time
you go through via http. There's HSTS that gets us one step further by
telling browsers to remember they have to use HTTPS instead of HTTP, so
the initial HTTP call isn't made.

> The redirect for http://erlang.org and https://erlang.org goes to
> $scheme://www.erlang.org, which redirects to https://www.erlang.org.
>
> Unfortunately the redirects back from e.g https://www.erlang.org/doc
> changes to http://erlang.org/doc because https for erlang.org did not work
> until 10 minutes ago.

And redirection tends to lead to this issues.

> Would it be sufficient to make those redirects from www.erlang.org to
> erlang.org not change from https to http?

You definitely shouldn't downgrade if possible. I am wondering however
if you want to leave *browsers* able to access the site via plain HTTP,
or clients in general (including things like curl for example). A policy
like HSTS is only used by clients that understand it (so mostly
browsers) so maybe this is what you want to setup. Browsers would always
go through HTTPS; other clients would be able to use both HTTP and HTTPS.

Cheers,

--
Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu