[erlang-questions] string:lexeme/s2 - an old man's rant

Lloyd R. Prentice lloyd@REDACTED
Thu May 9 19:06:30 CEST 2019

Hi All,

In the grumpy moment when I launched this thread I never expected so many interesting insights and comments.  Now I want to step back and convey boundless gratitude to all who have worked so hard to develop and document Erlang. Thank you.

It’s clear that Erlang, the language, and official documentation are living entities— subject to changes that risk breaking legacy code and programmer expectations and mind set.

As I understand it, string processing was not so important in telecom applications. But today we see Erlang in chat and web applications where processing natural language is  fundamental.  So pragmatic questions:

— Is the string library sufficiently up to the task in these new domains?
— Can it be improved?
— If so, how?
— Is there an official process through which these questions can be answered and targeted improvements brought to pass?

All the best,

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad