[erlang-questions] string:lexeme/s2 - an old man's rant

Lloyd R. Prentice lloyd@REDACTED
Wed May 8 01:40:07 CEST 2019

Hi Richard,

Thanks for clarifying the inner workings of Unicode.

Which makes me wonder—- If string:tokens/2 and string:lexemes/2 are functionally identical, or at least substitutable, why not change the implementation of string:tokens/2 to accommodate Unicode, leave the function name alone, and announce to the world that as of Erlang Version XX the implementation of string:tokens/2 has been changed to accommodate Unicode?

Then we don’t have to worry about revising legacy code at some point in the future. Yes, I understand that the legacy code might have to be recompiled under the new version of Erlang in the case Unicode becomes universal.  But that seems to me a smaller price than revising source code.

A simple example that I ran into yesterday while proofreading Build It with Nitrogen, the book that Jesse Gumm and I have been working on for far too long now:

We used the function string:tokens/2 moons ago to parse a date string in the form  “04/07/19”.  String:tokens/2 was in good standing when we wrote the chapter. Had we published the book in a timely fashion, our readers today might think, oh this book is no good. It uses obsolete functions.

I could have changed the function to string:lexemes/2. But if my mind goes tilt when  I look at the documentation, what can I expect of my readers? I ended up changing it to re:split/3.

All the best,

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad