[erlang-questions] Guards syntax for multiple values

Dmitry Belyaev be.dmitry@REDACTED
Tue Mar 26 23:12:53 CET 2019

No current code will be broken if an infix 'in' operator is parsed based on context  as it's not currently used.
If an auto-impotred function 'erlang:is_member' is introduced, the code previously using locally defined function 'is_member' will be broken. If the bif is not auto-imported its usage in guards will be very confusing.

All these proposed changes - a new operator, or a new function - to me look as too small changes, not really solving the main problem - absence of convenient and accepted way to metaprogramming. Just have a look how many proposals to Elixir are rejected as almost all of them are implementable using macros.

It reminds me all those libraries implementing different improvements to the language like erlando, gin and many others that don't become used much only because parse transforms are not accepted solution to the Erlang language problems.

Maybe we should shift our attention from a list of newly added bifs and those suggested to be added to a more generic way to solve these and other similar problems once and for all?

Kind regards,
Dmitry Belyaev