[erlang-questions] Guards syntax for multiple values

Florent Gallaire fgallaire@REDACTED
Mon Mar 25 01:34:04 CET 2019

Frank thanks for your answer.

> You’re probably new to Erlang.

Yes, but...

> You can achieve the same with parse_transform:
> https://github.com/mad-cocktail/gin/blob/master/README.rst

...I can say parse_transform is not the solution Erlang needs.

> There’s no point to add new syntax to the language.

Yes we need it, an easy to use built-in "in (tuple or list I'm not
sure of the right semantic)" syntactic sugar for guards.

Hope some other advices.

Florent

> /Frank
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I'm not very experimented in Erlang but I read carefully books and
>> official documention.
>>
>> It seems to me that the guards syntax is not as good as it should be,
>> i.e. too much verbose for multiple values.
>>
>> do(val1) -> val1;
>> do(val2) -> val2;
>> do(val3) -> val3;
>> do(val4) -> val4;
>> do(val5) -> val5.
>>
>> do(Val) when Val =:= val1; Val =:= val2; Val =:= val3; Val =:= val4;
>> Val =:= val5 -> Val.
>>
>> It's boring and error prone to write.
>>
>> Has a "in tuple" syntax already be considered ? Something like :
>>
>> do(Val) when Val in {val1, val2, val3, val4, val5} -> Val.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Florent
>>
>> --
>> FLOSS Engineer & Lawyer