[erlang-questions] Elixir community, please be more responsible; Erlang community, please demand it.

Tristan Sloughter t@REDACTED
Sun Mar 24 20:50:55 CET 2019

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019, at 13:09, José Valim wrote:
> > What if it was allowed for package maintainers to publish pre-compiled BEAM files to Hex? I would imagine that everyone who is pushing packages to Hex also has the ability to compile those packages on the machine they’re using to publish.
>
> Unfortunately that wouldn't solve the issue with macros, because macros are still compiled to regular BEAMs. A precompiled BEAM wouldn't change the module name nor the name of a function. The incompatibility is in the calling convention and in the different ASTs (similar issue to LFE).

It would solve the issue of if I created an Erlang lib and depend on an Elixir lib I'm forcing any user of my lib to perform a step outside of the build tool after depending on it (installing Elixir).

Benchee itself this isn't an issue for in my opinion. Since it is used for benchmarking and wouldn't be a regular dependency, but only required for those working directly on the application and running benchmarks, requiring an external dependency isn't unusual. I've been planning to try Benchee out for some Erlang projects and just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Tristan