[erlang-questions] How to quick calculation max Erlang's processes and scheduler can alive based on machine specs

I Gusti Ngurah Oka Prinarjaya okaprinarjaya@REDACTED
Sat Jul 13 10:46:39 CEST 2019

Hi,

I'm a super newbie, I had done very very simple parallel processing using
erlang. I experimenting with my database containing about hundreds of
thousands rows. I split the rows into different offsets then assign each
worker-processes different rows based on offsets. For each row i doing
simple similar text calculation using binary:longest_common_prefix/1

Let's assume my total rows is 200,000 rows of data.
At first, i try to create 10 worker-processes, i assign 20,000 rows at each
worker-process.
Second, i try to create 20 worker-processes, i assign 10,000 rows at each
worker-process.
Third, i try to create 40 worker-processes, i assign 5000 rows at each
worker-process.

My machine specs:
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
- Processor 3,1 GHz Intel Core i5 ( 2 physical cores, with HT )
- RAM 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

My questions is

1. How to quick calculation / dumb / simple calculation max Erlang's
processes based on above machine specs?

2. The running time when doing similar text processing with 10 worker, or
20 worker or 40 worker was very blazingly fast. So i cannot feel, i cannot
see the difference. How to measure or something like printing total minutes
out? So i can see the difference.

3. How many scheduler need to active / available when i create 10
processes? or 20 processes? 40 processes? and so on..

Please enlightenment

Thank you super much