[erlang-questions] Can I build Erlang with make -j?

Gerhard Lazu gerhard@REDACTED
Wed Jan 30 13:34:05 CET 2019

Yes, the -j flag is guaranteed to work as expected when building Erlang
from source. If still in doubt, can you think of a series of checks that
you could run post-build to ensure that the resulting artefact behaves
correctly?

We are using -j when compiling Erlang in the RabbitMQ Docker image:
https://github.com/docker-library/rabbitmq/blob/8a623bb9420b8bfb1cbad2467abb48db26e7ddbc/3.7/ubuntu/Dockerfile#L138

As for checks, we verify that Erlang/OTP crypto & ssl were compiled against
OpenSSL correctly:
https://github.com/docker-library/rabbitmq/blob/8a623bb9420b8bfb1cbad2467abb48db26e7ddbc/3.7/ubuntu/Dockerfile#L159

The same -j flag is used in the Erlang Docker image:
https://github.com/erlang/docker-erlang-otp/blob/a35e84764af1391f174905c7d18db3c1b7c629e6/21/Dockerfile#L29

Hope this helps, Gerhard.