[erlang-questions] [Zotonic-Dev] zotonic CI deployment best practice for 2019

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Mon Jan 14 19:47:34 CET 2019

Hi Marc,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

This addresses one part of the puzzle. I can't speak for Eddie, but as a total DevOps noob, a big-picture perspective would give me greater comfort as I move into my own deployments.

I'm guessing that there are different issues if we're considering on-premises vs. cloud deployment, so considering the two hosting scenarios...

What are the specific security, scaling, or other issues we need to attend to? And how do we implement them? For instance, if on-premises: Do we need a dmz to protect our LAN or is port-forwarding sufficient? Should we put a proxy server such as nginx or HAProxy in front of our app? How can we most effectively harden our servers and applications against exploits?

I understand much of this goes beyond the realm of Zotonic, Erlang, and Nitrogen. But when I step out into the web for answers I'm totally overwhelmed with confusing and oft contradictory info.

I'd love to create a living-document tutorial and checklist for, at least, the simplest deployments, but wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks again,

Lloyd