[erlang-questions] Why do I have to recompile erl files

Sverker Eriksson sverker@REDACTED
Fri Feb 22 18:30:38 CET 2019

A new ERTS can usually load beam files compiled with an older compiler
at least a couple of major versions back.

An old ERTS may not be able to load beam files compiled with a newer compiler
as it may find futuristic instructions that it does not understand.

We usually only do such changes between major versions.

/Sverker, Erlang/OTP