[erlang-questions] Use systemd's watchdog functionality instead of heart?

Mikael Pettersson mikpelinux@REDACTED
Wed Feb 20 10:01:09 CET 2019

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 9:24 PM Thomas Elsgaard
<thomas.elsgaard@REDACTED> wrote:

> Mikael, You can also look at:
>
> https://gist.github.com/maxlapshin/01773f0fca706acdcb4acb77d91d78bb
>
> Thomas
>
> tir. 19. feb. 2019 kl. 21.15 skrev Mikael Pettersson <mikpelinux@REDACTED>:
>>
>> One of our devops people recently commented that heart made management
>> of beam VMs in systemd-enabled systems more complicated.
>>
>> I investigated a bit, and found that systemd supports being a watchdog
>> for a service, via sd_notify() calls with WATCHDOG=1 messages, and
>> appropriate configuration in the unit file.
>>
>> Interestingly enough, there _is_ systemd support in OTP, but only in epmd.
>>
>> Is there a good reason _not_ to use systemd's watchdog functionality
>> instead of heart, where available?

It's quite neat that one can message systemd directly from Erlang, but
the basic question remains: is there any technical reason to keep
using heart as a watchdog when one has systemd?