[erlang-questions] Use systemd's watchdog functionality instead of heart?

Mikael Pettersson mikpelinux@REDACTED
Tue Feb 19 21:15:14 CET 2019

One of our devops people recently commented that heart made management
of beam VMs in systemd-enabled systems more complicated.

I investigated a bit, and found that systemd supports being a watchdog
for a service, via sd_notify() calls with WATCHDOG=1 messages, and
appropriate configuration in the unit file.

Interestingly enough, there _is_ systemd support in OTP, but only in epmd.

Is there a good reason _not_ to use systemd's watchdog functionality
instead of heart, where available?

/Mikael