ConETS table consistency while entries are deleted from 2 processes

Sun Dec 8 15:50:43 CET 2019

I think both would work.

There is also the possibility B sends a delete message to A which then
deletes keys. This forces linearization in A.

How many concurrent deletes you have sort-of determines if this strategy is
more viable, and also in which direction the system might go in the future.
If you only have a handful deletes I would just factor it through a single
process since a lot of things are easier that way, typically.

In any case, your Erlang/OTP version matter here. For 22.0 and onwards, you
can set `{write_concurrency, true}` for ordered_set tables and expect an
improvement as core count increases. Before, there is no effect and you are
essentially grabbing a table lock for the whole table whenever you want to
issue a write (i.e. delete). So before 22, concurrent deletes yields no
performance improvement, which argues a messaging model might be simpler to
reason about[0].

[0] Why? Because there is an invariant which is easy to maintain: if the
process is purging, messages wait in the mailbox. So no other deletes can
happen in between. If the process is deleting, it cannot be purging.

--
J.