[erlang-questions] Testing gen_statem timers

Adam Lindberg hello@REDACTED
Tue Aug 20 09:33:11 CEST 2019

I concur with Jesper and Fred. Timer data should be injected into the process, with a sensible production default.

Personally I would keep all the different timer values in a map in the process state, seeded by a default argument in my own MyProc:star_link/X function. This map can then be merged with an optional map supplied by the user. When a timer is started in gen_statem, you would do a lookup in this map based on e.g. the timer name. For tests, you could then inject a custom map where you override some timer values to match what is desired for the test. In my opinion, no extra support in gen_statem is needed for this.

Relying on shorter but still not exactly precise timeouts in tests is still tricky. What could be useful to have support for in gen_statem is firing the timeout events manually. I.e. in a test where you set up the timer in gen_statem, there would then be a way to manually fire a timer event in a gen_statem process. That way, the test becomes very readable and deterministic. Not sure how such an API would look like though.

Cheers,
Adam