[erlang-questions] High latency when exchanging small messages between different Erlang nodes

Led ledest@REDACTED
Thu Apr 11 21:16:09 CEST 2019

In decent societies kicked for the expression "docker in production".

чт, 11 квіт. 2019 о 22:07 Konstantinos Kallas <
konstantinos.kallas@REDACTED> пише:

> Hello,
>
> I have an Erlang application where latency is crucial and a lot of small
> messages (tuples with an atom and integer) are exchanged between processes
> in different nodes.
>
> The main procedure is that a main process sends a small message to 4
> worker processes in other Erlang nodes, the worker processes do some
> negligible processing, and then they reply back to the main node with a
> small message.
>
> Each separate Erlang node is on a different docker container (generated
> from the erlang:21 docker image), and all the containers are connected
> using a standard docker bridge network.
>
> I have noticed that latency (the time from when the first message is sent,
> and its replies arrive) linearly increases with time. It starts at 1 second
> and after 30 seconds of execution latency has become 10 seconds.
>
> I have tried running all processes on the same erlang node, and then
> latency is (as expected) a couple milliseconds, so my assumption is that
> the problem could be caused by one (or more) of the following:
>
> - Some misconfiguration of the Erlang nodes
>
> - Some misconfiguration of the docker network/containers
>
> - Some penalty imposed by the operating system/docker because a lot of
> small messages are exchanged
>
> Has anyone encountered this issue, or does anyone know how to configure
> Erlang nodes (and the operating system) to reduce message latency?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best,
>
> Konstantinos

Led.