[erlang-questions] digraph questions

Mike French mfrench@REDACTED
Tue Apr 9 11:24:50 CEST 2019

Yes, try Inception, or Memento, which has ~linear narrative of a non-linear character :)

The problem with RDF is that everything is a subset of RDF. Just as I gave up formal methods when an expert told me that "floating point... that's still a research topic" (RAL 1990), so I gave up RDF when the philosophers started arguing about a Standard Upper Ontology (SUO), for things like space and time, which looked like it could last for decades. There should be a harder prequel CS deadlock problem called The Arguing Philosophers, about where to have dinner in the first place).

For a practical interactive system that uses graph-based spatio-temporal data, see Palantir. In addition to tagged text and table listings, it has 3 connected views of the same data: graph, map and timeline.

StoryFlow cites XKCD as a reference:

https://xkcd.com/657/

Mike

________________________________
From: erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED <erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED> on behalf of Hugo Mills <hugo@REDACTED>
Sent: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 11:43 AM
To: lloyd@REDACTED
Cc: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] digraph questions

On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 07:28:49PM -0400, lloyd@REDACTED wrote:

> The Erlang digraph library looks like it may provide an interesting way to diagram scenes in a novel.
>
> 1> Scene10 = digraph:new().
>
> Imagine:
>
> Setting:"park"
> Character1:"Franco"
> Character2:"Sophia"
>
> 2> digraph:add_vertex(Scene10, "Park", "Night").
> 3> digraph:add_vertex(Scene10, "Franco", "Old and fat").
> 4> digraph:add_vertex(Scene10, "Sophia", "Young and beautiful").
> 5> digraph:add_edge(Scene10, "Franco", "Sophia", "loves").

   Congratulations, you just invented a subset of RDF. :)

   Also, I fear that contextus.net has now vanished, but there were a
bunch of people at Southampton University about 10 years ago
(including me) who were working on narrative descriptions in RDF.

   It gets more complicated when you have to deal with temporal
descriptions (X loved Y until X discovered that Y was having an affair
with Z), and different narrative timelines (the audience's experience
of the timeline of Pulp Fiction is very different to that of the
characters; CSI usually shows multiple inconsistent views of the crime
over the course of an episode). You can also start modelling different
characters' beliefs (see, for example, the end of Romeo and Juliet,
where the plot hinges critically on what people think they know).

   I'm not sure if I've got any of the ontologies any more, but I can
ask around the group and see if it's on someone's hard disk still...

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | Books are superior to radio: the soundtrack is
hugo@REDACTED carfax.org.uk | better