[erlang-questions] ETS’s performances and limits?

ANTHONY MOLINARO anthonym@REDACTED
Sat Sep 1 23:09:29 CEST 2018

Hi,

The simple answer is yes, but there’s some complications under scale.

I’ve got a few ordered_sets with ~12 million entries in them which seem to work reasonably well under normal loads, but they tend to show abnormal performance under heavier concurrency.

This is a known limitation which AFAIK has not been addressed yet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40shUKSdh1A <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40shUKSdh1A>) in the implementation of ordered_sets (I’d love to be told differently, but looking at the code it does not appear to have been changed in some time).

I don’t believe that sets have the same issue.  In all likelihood things will work fine for your use case, and you can test it out easily enough.

HTH,

-Anthony