[erlang-questions] Erlang checklists

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Tue Oct 30 09:19:31 CET 2018

On 29 October 2018 at 22:27,  <lloyd@REDACTED> wrote:
> Among other things, how should versions be handled in module headers given
> that we have an application version and perhaps a mix of module versions?

They shouldn't. There's no need for module versions to vary
independently of the application version. And there's no need to have
them (I assume you mean as comments) in module headers. That's what
source control's for.

Just generate the application version from the same
source-control-derived value. For modules, you can just use Erlang's
default MD5 scheme for module versions. Or you can make it the same as
the application version.

We use https://github.com/electricimp/vsn_transform, but note that --
depending on what you use to generate the version string -- you might
end up with a non-reproducible build (see
https://reproducible-builds.org/).