[erlang-questions] Twitter Account Activity API (webhooks) problems

Marc Worrell marc@REDACTED
Tue Oct 16 10:29:51 CEST 2018

Yes, the streaming interface have been removed.

You can use a free version of the webhooks which should allow you to “follow” one account.

For one of my customers I changed the ingest of tweets to periodic polling of a list of accounts.
Which works quite well, if you keep track of the newest tweet id and request changes since that tweet.

Still have to do that for the Twitter integration in Zotonic as well… the ingest is broken there since the Twitter API changes.

BTW, requesting developer access to the new webhooks can take a while, multiple weeks, so do that soon.

- Marc

> On 16 Oct 2018, at 09:50, Peter Andersson <pekadan@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> Excellent! Thanks a lot for the pointers guys! I'll go check it out!
>
> As far as I understand, Twitter changed the activity API from a streaming interface to webhooks earlier this year. Don't know if/how the method for authentication changed at the same time, but webhook registration must be new requirement.
>
> Peter
>
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 8:32 AM Marc Worrell <marcw@REDACTED <mailto:marcw@REDACTED>> wrote:
> In Zotonic we are using a twerl fork.
>
> https://github.com/mworrell/twerl.git <https://github.com/mworrell/twerl.git>
>
> This works well, am on the road so can’t readily checked what we changed.
>
> - Marc
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 16 Oct 2018, at 07:25, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan@REDACTED <mailto:ivan@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>> Dear Peter
>>
>> I have an old erlang twitter client (using oauth) that used to work. When I get to the office I’ll see if it still works (twitter change their api regularly) & if so might be able to help.
>>
>> It began as a fork of twerl:
>>
>>     https://github.com/lucaspiller/twerl <https://github.com/lucaspiller/twerl>
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Ivan
>>

>> --
>> festina lente
>>

>> On 16 Oct 2018, at 00:34, Peter Andersson <pekadan@REDACTED <mailto:pekadan@REDACTED>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm working on an Erlang app interfacing Twitter using the Account Activity API and I can't get the app and default user to pass authentication. I started out using the erlang-oauth lib on github (https://github.com/tim/erlang-oauth <https://github.com/tim/erlang-oauth>) to generate a valid oauth 1.0 signature, but then Twitter authentication failed and I did my own oauth signing function. My function produced the exact same result as erlang-oauth though (go figure!), so the signature itself is probably not an issue. Maybe I'm not getting the parameters right, or the actual request.
>>>
>>> Anyone on the list been interfacing Twitter from an Erlang program using webhooks? If so, would you mind sharing some knowledge? I would really appreciate seeing an example of a working webhook URL registration (POST to the account_activity endpoint in user context).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Peter