[erlang-questions] Understanding which application a pid came from

Justin Wood justin.k.wood@REDACTED
Sun Oct 14 19:14:40 CEST 2018

Hello list,

I have a situation where I am finding a random pid and asking which application it came from using application:get_application/1. According to the documentation, that function will return undefined if the pid does not belong to any application.

When my app runs it is returning undefined for a pid belonging to kernel. I know this because I am outputting erlang:process_info(Pid) and I am seeing registered names such as inet_db and file_server_2. When I check the shell for those applications, it is properly returning {ok, kernel}.

I am wondering under what circumstances a pid does not belong to an application?

If it makes a difference, I am testing this on OTP 21.0.9.