[erlang-questions] Documentation -- what I ran into when I installed kerl

lloyd@REDACTED lloyd@REDACTED
Wed Nov 21 21:02:34 CET 2018

Thanks for the thoughts and tips, Ivan!

Love your quote:

"The Unix environment is an ocean in which a gnat may drink and an elephant may bathe"

And I would add, "and where a noobie can all too easily flounder around lost at sea."

I work alone on many fronts so, beyond the wonderful people on this list, depend upon books and the web as I try to become sufficiently competent in the many tasks required to bring the ambitious web app I've been working on to fruition. Documentation is often a make or break for me when I evaluate an app or tool. If I don't understand it, which happens all too often, it's Sayonara for that app.

This is complicated by the fact that as I age I don't retain information as well as I once did. So I've been struggling to develop a format and system for keeping track of all the things I need to know.

I hope soon to propose documentation for creating publish source GitHub repositories. If time and energy allow, I'll try to follow it up with a stab at a "Building Erlang on Ubuntu" draft inspired by Fred Hebert's suggestion.

I need to understand how to put such documents on the web, so I'll do so as time permits.

Thanks again,

Lloyd