[erlang-questions] OTP Source File md5 checksum incorrect

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Sun May 27 09:20:33 CEST 2018

You did not download a tar file, you downloaded a tar.gz and your
browser/client automatically gunzipped it.

It's due to the HTTP headers in the response, it's sent back as an
application/x-tar with content-encoding x-gzip, and some browsers save
that decoded. You can use a different client to get the actual tar.gz,
for example curl.

To avoid the issue erlang.org should not send the content-encoding
header in the response.

On 05/27/2018 03:03 AM, by wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to download the OTP Source File from erlang.org
> <http://erlang.org> under:
> http://www.erlang.org/downloads
>
> And After the download, I do md5 calculate for the file, and find the
> result not equal to which erlang.org <http://erlang.org> provides.
>
> And I found that the md5 checksum which erlang.org <http://erlang.org>
> provides is for tar.gz file, but what I downloaded is a tar file.
>
> Is there anyway I can download the tar.gz file and do the compare or
> maybe I can get the md5 checksum of the tar file?
>
> Thanks,
> Yao

Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu