[erlang-questions] Erlang 21, Stability and the murder of an innocent Statemachine

Kenneth Lundin kenneth@REDACTED
Mon May 7 12:06:37 CEST 2018

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 8:54 AM, José Valim <jose.valim@REDACTED> wrote:

> What about documentation from the OTP team that outlines a deprecation
> policy? It may be a good opportunity to also outline other compatibility
> guarantees, such as the compiled bytecode guarantees and the node
> compatibility guarantees, if such are not yet documented.

I think it is a good idea to describe the OTP policy regarding deprecation,
backward compatibility, supported releases etc. in one place. Will try to
have it available before the OTP 21 release.

The Elixir policy with hard and soft deperecation is also interesting as we
need to make it
clearer what a depercation means.

But in short we use the deprecation mechanism to flag that a function och
application is no longer recommended for use in new code since there exist
another solution that we recomment to be used instead.

We don't remove deprecated functions or applications just like that and
some functions have to stay for a very long time (or forever) since there
is so much usage of them.

gen_fsm is an old module which is used a lot and it is not likely to
dissapear in a near future. I realize that the deprecated attribute inside
the module like this
-deprecated({start, 3, next_major_release}).
is somewhat misleading and we will try to improve this.

/Kenneth, Erlang/OTP