[erlang-questions] Looking for practical testing advice

Wed Mar 28 16:43:26 CEST 2018

Hi,

My solution is to think functionally: decouple computation from effect. You
don't have to go total Monadic style, but split the code which computes
results from the code which has some kind of side-effect (messaging, file
I/O, network I/O, etc). This lets you test your code by injecting the data
into the computational chain in a unit test, and run the effectful tests
separately from that. In your case, we might run 3 operations:

1. Compute what data we need
2. Message an external party for that data
3. Compute a result based on that data

This suggests we need 3 functions, where the middle function has a side
effect. But functions 1 and 3 can be unit-tested under the assumption of a
result from 2. And 2 can be tested independently of 1 and 3. Thinking a bit
more like an Erlang programmer would, this is a finite state machine(!).
The function 1 returns a *Command* to a command runner, which then executes
2 and feeds the result back into the state machine. The runner then
executes 3. If you decouple the generation of what-to-do from actually
doing it, testing is easy.

The aside here is that it is exactly what you would do in a monadic style
implementation of the same. You define the program as a Free monad (i.e.,
as a program which you can interpret in several different ways). Then you
run said program in a test-interpreter when you want to test the program.
But you run it in a "real system" when you want it to execute the program
in the real world.

In practice, I like to build the above model because it enables you to test
your program without ever having to run the system as a whole. Once you
start having many different data sources and dependent processes, you have
to think about isolation of them in test settings. Otherwise it becomes
prohibitively hard to work with the system as you add more complexity.

The astute reader will recognize that the above is similar to the Elm
Architecture, but that is a subject for another post :)