[erlang-questions] Different result using io_lib:format under version 21, Is this expected?

Sölvi Páll Ásgeirsson solvip@REDACTED
Tue Jun 26 22:04:12 CEST 2018

Hi Chris

Both are legal return values from io_lib:format/2; it's defined such
that it might return deep lists.

I'd suggest that you flatten the output in your tests and don't rely
on a specific structure.
You can do that by using e.g. the built-in function iolist_to_binary/1
or lists:flatten/1.
However, you do not need to, and should not, flatten the list before
writing it to a file or a socket.

I've found that https://prog21.dadgum.com/70.html explains the concept
quite well.

Regards