[erlang-questions] gen_statem state enter call and changing t oanother state

Mon Jun 11 10:45:33 CEST 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 09:43:02AM +0200, Frans Schneider wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> the state_enter_result(State) has as one its return values {next_state,
> State, NewData, ...} but explicitly disallows the State to be different
> from the current State,  First, I find it confusing to allow
> 'next_state' here since State cannot change but the name makes the

Throughout gen_statem is is by design so that there is no difference
between {next_state, SameState, NewData, ...}
and {keep_state, NewData, ...}.  It is {keep_state, ...} that is shorthand
for {next_state, SameState, ...}.

So dissalowing {next_state, ...} in a state_enter call would be an
exception to the main rule that {next_state, ...} is the generic form.

There might be situations where you have a helper function that calculates
the next state so it would want to always return {next_state, ...}, and
then you want to use it in a state_enter call context knowing it will
always return {next_state, SameState, ...}.  I think this use should be
possible.

> suggestion it can. Secondly, I would love to be able to actually make a
> state change. Quite often i find myself running a few tests on entering
> a state and making state changes based on these tests. Now I have to

The state_enter call is intended for code to be executed when entering a
state, making this code co-located in the source with the state's event
handling code.

If the state_enter call should be allowed to change states it would no
longer be co-located since it would for example start a timer for the other
state it changes to.

The alternative to using state_enter calls would be to have a convention
where you at exit from the other state go through a helper function
that does what you need for state entry, and remember to use this
function for every state entry to the state in question.

I think your use case is a good example for when having a specialized state
change function makes sense.  There is no single state this kind of code
clearly should be co-located with.

> move these tests to all states which can have this state as a result and
> go directly to the end state.
>
> Would it be possible to change state from a state enter call?

I do not like that idea, for the reasons above...