[erlang-questions] 'cannot' /= 'can not'

Hugo Mills hugo@REDACTED
Tue Jul 24 15:16:22 CEST 2018

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 11:02:43AM +0200, empro2@REDACTED wrote:
> This is only the most recent occurrence that finally
> makes me write this:
>
> <quote>
> [erlang-questions] Patch package OTP 20.3.8.3 released
> Tue, 24 Jul 2018 09:13:22 +0200
> [...]
> Note! The kernel-5.4.3.2 application can *not* be applied
>       independently of other applications on an arbitrary
>       OTP 20 installation.
> [...]
> </quote>
>
> If it can not be applied independently then it can also be
> applied independently

   Eh? In no way is that the implication here.

   "can *not*", to me as a native speaker of the language, is the same
as "cannot", with additional emphasis. I've been trying to identify
other meanings using alternative readings or logical inference, but
none of them come naturally, or would make any sense.

   You're asking for a change which makes no difference whatsoever.

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | I used to be a mathematician, but I'm better now.
hugo@REDACTED carfax.org.uk |