[erlang-questions] How to test multi-pollset?

Lukas Larsson lukas@REDACTED
Mon Jan 29 09:49:12 CET 2018

Hello,

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 9:22 AM, pablo platt <pablo.platt@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the expected effect of the multi-pollset PR [1] on a UDP socket on
> the sender/receiver side?
> My use case is a media server with several broadcaster and many viewers.
> Each stream use 1Mbps (aprox 100 * 1500 bytes packets per second).
> Should I expect improvement when gen_udp is sending packets, receiving
> packets or both?

Yes, I believe that you will see an improvement. It depends on what type of
HW that you are running on, typically the more logical cpu's you have the
more gain you will get from the improvements in I/O polling[1]. Also the
exact usage pattern matters.

> Is it reasonable to pick a point in master and use it on a production
> system after testing?

I would take the latest tip of master and test that thoroughly for you
application. The things that we merge into master have gone through all our
testing before it is merged, so it is as stable as the maint branch.
However we make a lot more changes in master than in maint, so because of
that there will be a greater chance of some bug slipping through.

If you do decide to give the improved I/O polling implementation a go,
please do come back with any negative or positive findings that you get!

Lukas

[1]: The largest change in the PR is not actually the ability to use
multiple pollsets, but that the polling has been lifted out to be done by
dedicated threads.