[erlang-questions] binary_part/3

Mon Jan 8 20:20:18 CET 2018

A sub-binary is a pointer into an already existing binary. It is, roughly,
a triple of a pointer to the original binary, an offset into the binary,
and a length (from that offset). They are quick to copy around, and they
are making efficient use of the fact that data in an Erlang system is
generally immutable.

However, the caveat is that a sub-binary can keep an underlying binary
"alive" for longer than it should. There are situations in which the ERTS
will convert a sub-binary into a copy with a new binary, and the situation
is slowly getting better and better. But if you want to be sure, you need
to add a binary:copy/1 to a binary to make it into a full-blown
(ref-counted) binary.

In the example Alex writes, the f(A) in (3) merely forgets the ref-counted
binary pointer. But the binary in (2) and (4) keeps it alive in the system.