[erlang-questions] TLS 1.3 Development

Ingela Andin ingela.andin@REDACTED
Tue Jan 2 11:17:23 CET 2018

Hello!

> Hello,
>
> I saw a post from a few months ago here: http://erlang.org/
> pipermail/erlang-questions/2017-August/093136.html about adding support
> for TLS 1.3 to the new OTP, and I am curious about the status of this and
> how I could get involved. I have made a deal of modifications to the
> underlying OTP ssl module to suit my businesses needs, and I believe I
> could help in the development.
>

> In the post I linked, the responder mentioned that there are many unknowns
> with the new TLS implementation, which is definitely true, but there are
> those who have implemented it successfully - both WolfSSL and OpenSSL
> support this (C implementation).
>
> TLS 1.3 has huge advantages for embedded/iot devices - it reduces the
> number of RTTs which is huge for customers with data and processing
> constraints. For companies managing millions of devices, this would add
> huge cost savings, not to mention the increased levels of security. This
> will be a great advantage for Erlang to have.
>
> Is there any work being done currently on development, and is it possible
> for a Non-Erricson employee to contribute?
>
> Thanks for your help

The way you may contribute is to make PR (pull requests). My team is
responsible for TLS development and we have done some preparations for
TLS-1.3 but we have not added any TLS-1.3 specific code yet.
The latest changes was to handle cipher suites as maps instead of tuples
internally.We are thinking of moving the API that way too. To make
contributing easier for us both if would be helpful if you can make small
logical steps
implementing some part of the code needed for TLS-1.3 support. If you
need/want to make changes the does not follow the current design send me a
mail at ingela@REDACTED  so we can consider what will be best and also
fit our plans.

Regards Ingela Erlang/OTP Team - Ericsson AB