[erlang-questions] start/stop applications without a callback module

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Jan 1 20:58:40 CET 2018

On 01/01/2018 08:43 PM, Xavier Noria wrote:
> Trying to get the vocabulary right for OTP applications without a
> callback module.
>
> Does the application controller spawn an application master process for
> applications without callback modules? If yes, with what purpose? Do you
> still call that "starting" the application even though there is no
> `start/2` callback to invoke?

All applications can be started.

> Are applications without callback modules also "stopped" in some sense?
> I mean, do you use the verb "stop" for them even though there is no
> `stop/1` callback to invoke? And if yes, what does "stopping" do?

All applications can also be stopped.

For library applications (those without a callback module) it doesn't do
a whole lot, just registers the application as being started (or not)
and triggers some events for SASL and other.

> Is there an official or common term to refer to "application without a
> callback module", and "application with a callback module"?

Library application and application, I don't think the latter has a
specific name.

All details are in this chapter:
http://erlang.org/doc/design_principles/applications.html

--