[erlang-questions] Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Antonio SJ Musumeci trapexit@REDACTED
Wed Feb 14 18:37:22 CET 2018

"These little skirmishes over the meanings of words should not be taken too
seriously but more as a symptom that the tools we use to communicate are
crap and we need to invent better tools."

While I entirely agree that communication via computer is seriously lacking
relative to other forms that is not what the issue was here. This was an
emotional, ideological, and political skirmish. The semantic argument was
the catalyst. Unfortunately no form of communication has yet made the
former noticeably better or easier.

Some individuals made exaggerated / invalid / incomplete claims on the
meaning of a word. Others tried to correct them. This should be an
dispassionate and simple problem to solve. The historical and current
meanings and uses are easily found and should not be up for debate.
Anecdotal evidence can be useful to provide nuance. Severity, optics, etc.
can debated but those arguments were mixed in with unfounded statements and
accusations on "both sides." Those were clearly coming from the ideological
backgrounds and experiences of those posting them. Would they have
responded differently in person? Understood one another better? Maybe. In
my experience, in today's political atmosphere in the USA, I've seen people
fly off the handle for completely innocent things. Individual's  career
paths ruined and friendships ended because someone assumed X about person Y
and no effort was put into at least agreeing on what was said, done, or
believed. Calling someone a racist, directly or indirectly; purposefully or
not, because they think the use of a word is more nuanced then other's
believe or that defending one's right to use such a word means they have a
desire to have racist words used is has nothing to do with communication
channel inefficiencies. Just as accusing people of being SJWs or overly
sensitive isn't. Those are personal attacks & ad hominems which should have
no place here (and even if true has nothing to do with the core topic). If
people generally agree on the "marketing" comments made... for all those
attacking one another... it's "bad marketing" of your ideas to attack
individuals and make unsubstantiated claims regarding their beliefs or
intents. Most respond rather poorly to such things and even if you're on
the "right side" your language and behavior will likely turnoff those who
don't already hold a strong position. This is "debate 101" kind of stuff.

Unrelated to the above but perhaps interesting to those who were following
this thread... regarding the paradox of tolerance. It could have been the
inefficiencies of the communication medium but it appeared that it may not
have been fully quoted and understood.

Popper's statement, when read in full, is a comment on when one must be
"intolerant" in order to save a tolerant system. It would fit the classical
liberal position of free speech absolution if 'tolerance' is understood in
that sense but he's a bit more vague. As with his "paradox of freedom" he
is using extremely generous / non-specific interpretations of "freedom" and
"tolerance." In a way that IMO only an extreme pacifist would use. Which is
useful in the sense that he wasn't adding hidden meaning to these words but
at the same time is contrary to how many think of them. This extremely
literal usage is not the classical liberal interpretations of those
words.This semantic distinction might seem pedantic but is useful in
understanding what is being said.

* tolerance: the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in
particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not
necessarily agree with.

* tolerate: allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of without
interference

To disagree, debate, or argue against something is not to be intolerant.
That's not "interference." Interference, in the classical liberal sense,
would refer to legal or extralegal, non-voluntary intervention. One could
use it to mean private intervention. Kicking someone off a mailinglist for
doing or saying something the moderators disagree with would technically be
"intolerant" but in the philosophical sense that's not what is meant. At
least not within the confines of the classical liberal rule set. While
Popper is using a definition without classical liberal qualifiers he was a
social liberal (which has roots in classical liberalism) and given the
statement's reference to "fists or pistols" and suggesting it'd be "unwise"
to suppress intolerant philosophies so long as they can continue to be
argued against and kept "in check by public opinion" there is good evidence
to believe this is more or less a rewording of previous free speech
absolutist positions. Also it should be noted that the statement comes from
a footnote. The consideration to be intolerant was made out-of-band from
his main point and seemed to have been made with hesitation.

I bring this up to hopefully provide insight and clarity but also to point
out that for those of us in the USA the position on free speech absolution,
while diminished relative to times past, is still strongly held and
ingrained in our law. Many will want to err on the side of tolerance and
open dialog. For those within and without the US it'd be good to remember
that the USA is unique in the world in this regard and has been hotly
debated for hundreds of years. When arguing in and around this topic this
should be kept in mind. We have different definitions for some of these
words which are easy to take for granted and overlook. Another thing to
keep in mind is that smarter people than all of us have probably debated
all this before and while fun to do it ourselves it might be better to go
off and read those who did so already. It could save a lot of keyboard
strokes and limit the number of aggravated individuals. In the least such
topics be held in more appropriate forums? Since we've almost certainly
drowned out the technical discussions... may I suggest starting a new
thread?

+1 for "trash panda" w/ a shortened tool name "tp" :)