[erlang-questions] erlang-questions Digest, Vol 360, Issue 5

Roman Galeev jamhedd@REDACTED
Mon Feb 12 18:56:50 CET 2018

> https://kurvasoft.com/
<https://mltrk.io/link/https%3A%2F%2Fkurvasoft.com%2F/qZ9wlIX6oTSd8CiUkX2L>

Well, kurva is Polish for bitch, and obviously, this Indonesian company do
not do business in Poland :)

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Karolis Petrauskas <k.petrauskas@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Here you go: https://kurvasoft.com/
<https://mltrk.io/link/https%3A%2F%2Fkurvasoft.com%2F/qZ9wlIX6oTSd8CiUkX2L>

> Karolis
>
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 7:39 PM, Roman Galeev <jamhedd@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>> > how offensive this particular word is to people who speak American
English.

>> There are offensive words in Russian, and they even form a sublanguage
named 'mat'. But you can't find something like this http://coonlabs.com/
<https://mltrk.io/link/http%3A%2F%2Fcoonlabs.com%2F/qZ9wlIX6oTSd8CiUkX2L>
with any of such words, this is simply not possible.

>> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:22 PM, Onorio Catenacci <Catenacci@REDACTED>
wrote:

>>> A few thoughts:
>>>
>>> 1.) As a native speaker of American English, trust me the word "coon"
is extremely offensive.  I'm not trying to be hyperbolic but it's my
impression that to African-Americans this word is almost as offensive as
the N word is. I'm not a SJW and I'm not politically correct. I simply
don't have any good reason to likely offend people when a less offensive
term (like "Racoon") is easily available to use.  If you don't speak
American English natively, trust me this is not a case of someone being
hypersensitive.  It's a very offensive word.

>>> 2.) It looks like Valery simply decide to build Rebar3/Hex/Mix etc.
with Python.  That's perfectly fine.  I'm not seeing anything much on there
other than "we decided to rebuild rebar3 with python" and "we're going to
build packages to work with our new build system" but it doesn't look as if
they have yet.

>>> 3.) I also agree with Fred and others who say that all this discussion
on the subtleties of political correctness and freedom of expression will
get lost outside of this mailing list.  All this would do is give a black
eye to the Erlang community and convince people who don't know any better
than some segment of developers who use Erlang are racists.  Fair or not
that's what will happen. Of course who ever said life is fair?

>>> I wish I had a better grasp of the native language of some folks on
this list so I could express how offensive this particular word is to
people who speak American English.  Maybe if I said to Valery I were going
to build a library named " КГБ" that might give some idea of how loaded
with negative meaning the word "Coon" is in English. The fact that lots of
Russian folks might find that particular phrase offensive--well they need
to stop being so sensitive right?

>>> If you want to continue with this library, please simply change the
name to "Racoon." This is not about offending or not offending anyone.  Its
about giving people the wrong impression by picking a name with a negative
meaning in American English. Or if you insist on using "Coon" then use the
word in whatever your native language is for "Racoon".

>>> I'll put it this way: I wouldn't name a library "Bitch".  Yes, it
refers to a female dog.  But it's more commonly used as an offensive way to
describe a female that one doesn't like.

>>> I also wouldn't name a library "Ass". That word can refer to a donkey
but it's so overwhelmingly identified with a pejorative slang term that
native speakers wouldn't think "donkey"--they'd think the other thing.

<https://mltrk.io/link/http%3A%2F%2Fonor.io/qZ9wlIX6oTSd8CiUkX2L>
>>> http://www.google.com/+OnorioCatenacci
<https://mltrk.io/link/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%2BOnorioCatenacci/qZ9wlIX6oTSd8CiUkX2L>

>> --