[erlang-questions] Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

zxq9@REDACTED zxq9@REDACTED
Mon Feb 12 18:03:12 CET 2018

On 2018年2月12日月曜日 10時52分22秒 JST Chris Duesing wrote:
> I can't believe this "discussion" is happening. Coon is a racial slur,
> there is no other use of the word. The fact that a bunch of white Europeans
> are pointing out that the dozen people involved in this thread aren't
> offended simply shows the lack of diversity in the mailing list. The "oh
> I'm butthurt because other people get offended by things" is fucking
> ridiculous. It is a racial slur, period. If this isn't a library only
> intended to be used by racist fucks then rename it.

Oh, so since YOU haven't heard it used to refer to "racoon" then your experience is its only meaning?

I grew up in North Texas and Lousiana. I hunted coons for the greater part of my childhood, partly because we could sell the furs and partly because we could eat them (delicious in meat pies, something folks like you actually privileged folk would turn your noses up at). We rarely called them "racoons" because, well, it's a whole extra syllable and we don't like speaking at length so much.

I have not once heard this term used as a racial slur outside of movies, despite having grown up in a part of the U.S. from which the use of this supposed uniform slur originates. Were there racists? Sure. But they had quite distinct terms for ethnically enhanced persons of a desirbable social quality and similarly derives persons of an undesirable social quality -- and the undesirable term was not "coon". Note, by the way, that it was the social quality of the individual to which the reference applied, not the ethnicity.

Whatever you think you know about the American South, you evidently do not.

This entire thread is ridiculous.

-Craig