[erlang-questions] Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

zxq9@REDACTED zxq9@REDACTED
Mon Feb 12 16:29:18 CET 2018

On 2018年2月12日月曜日 10時16分51秒 JST Fred Hebert wrote:
> Intent does not matter.

No.

Fred, I have enormous respect for you and have gone several rounds with you on several subjects, each time having learned something for my own part. On technical subjects, anyway.

But... INTENT

You are demonstraby wrong already. Just stop. You will not win against the weight of history.

This is becoming some SJW ridiculousness already, not because you care about that but because of the ambient temperature. I know SJW flippancy is not your intent, but that is the only place this winds up going these days. That is not a small failure -- it quickly becomes a systemic one, not just in a concurrent software system of ephemeral importance, but a concrete socio-economic one of critical importance that pays for all the other parties we enjoy.

Riddle me this:
If we cannot undersand enough about the software systems that WE WRITE OURSELVES that we need the "let it crash" mentality, how is it that we somehow understand to a manifest degree the economic and social value systems (which are profoundly more complex than our petty software systems) that we can dictate value within them? By what restart mechanism is this all brought back to a "reasonble default"?

I am sincerely desirous of an answer here, because I have a profound respect for your intellect but cannot imagine that you have properly considered the alternatives or where this path of discourse winds up eventualy going.

-Craig