[erlang-questions] proper way to use the new logger

Nicolas Martyanoff khaelin@REDACTED
Wed Aug 29 18:01:45 CEST 2018

Hi,

I have been trying to use the new logger application, and I am not sure about
the way I am supposed to configure it for my needs (keep in mind that I am an
Erlang beginner, hoping to use Erlang in production someday).

During development of a "library", i.e. an OTP application used by the program
I am working on, I need to see all logs related to the modules which are part
of the OTP application. However I cannot see how to set the log level to
`debug` for these modules only (and not globally with `{logger_level,
debug}`). Ideally, there would be a way to configure it in a local sys.config
to get this effect only during development, without having to do it
programmatically in every module I work on.

More importantly, I can't seem to find a way to include the name of the module
in log messages, either in the formatter template or anywhere else. Am I
supposed to add it manually to every single logger message I write ?

I am just trying to find a simple way to add log instructions to the code I
write, with the possibility to control which ones are printed depending on the
environment (local library development, application development, tests,
production...) using settings in sys.config.

Thank you in advance.

--
Nicolas Martyanoff
http://snowsyn.net