[erlang-questions] Network connections fail when starting rebar app using "console" parameter

Whealy, Chris chris.whealy@REDACTED
Fri Apr 13 11:18:27 CEST 2018

Found the problem…

For some reason I had a highly specific firewall rule that blocked outgoing network access by the BEAM, but only when run from within Terminal.

Deleted that rule and everything works fine now

Chris Whealy
SAP Cloud Platform | Strategy & Product Management | Team
SAP UK Ltd, Clockhouse Place, Bedfont Rd, Feltham, Middx, TW14 8HA, England

M +44 (0)7808 575377
Find out more on the Strategy & Product Management Wiki page<https://wiki.wdf.sap.corp/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1865737441> (SAP internal)
Follow our latest activities in SAP CP User Community Jam Group<https://jam4.sapjam.com/groups/about_page/eopqUq5S182gY7JFrbdwis>
Please consider the impact on the environment before printing this e-mail.
Twitter: @LogaRhythm

"The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
  but the words of the wise are quiet and few"
                                                 Ancient Proverb

Maybe have a network capture to determine why the ehostdown happen. especially you can compare the worked capture with the failed one.

My Cowboy app has a dependency on iBrowse - which has been working fine up until trying to start the app using “console”.

ibrowse:start(),
ibrowse:set_dest("download.geonames.org<http://download.geonames.org/>", 80, [{max_sessions, 10}, {max_pipeline_size, 25}]),

Then I spawn another process to fetch some files from genomes.org<http://genomes.org/> and wait for the results.  The spawned process is just a wrapper around ibrowse:send_req(Url, [{"If-None-Match", Etag}], get) that fires off an HTTP GET request to Url for a given Etag.

This all works fine when using the “start" parameter, but fails when using “console”…

Regards

Chris Whealy
SAP Cloud Platform | Strategy & Product Management | Team
SAP UK Ltd, Clockhouse Place, Bedfont Rd, Feltham, Middx, TW14 8HA, England

M +44 (0)7808 575377<tel:+44%207808%20575377>