[erlang-questions] Customizing Beam Build

Sargun Dhillon sargun@REDACTED
Tue Sep 26 18:21:15 CEST 2017

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:38 PM, Dmitry Kolesnikov
<dmkolesnikov@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 25 Sep 2017, at 22.32, Tristan Sloughter <t@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> may be solved simply with existing tools like makeself
>

> +1.
>
> There are not issue to package Erlang release to tarball and then to
> self-extractable archive. This is what I am doing on daily basic. I am
> trying to understand why community rejects this approach and targets some
> complex tooling? Is this because of Windows platform support or escripts? Or
> something else?
>
> - Dmitry
What I build is a container runtime. This means, I want to be able to
setns into a namespace, and do an execat in an arbitrary, and even
perhaps hostile environment. This also means that either the
filesystem is readonly, or I don't want to pollute the user's
filesystem. Often times, we give people user namespaces, so they can
setup all sorts of interesting mounts that break our software. I also
have to be able to be re-executed in place -- which requires cleanup.

In order to do something like a self-extracting installer, I can
create my own mount namespace using CLONE_NEWNS and mark it as a slave
namespace. I can then setup tmpfs, but then all of my code has to be
in-memory. Unfortunately, some users are running older kernels, and
others are running without these privileges.

I do not care about Windows, only Linux and OS X.