[erlang-questions] Nested Case Statements v.s. multiple functions

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Mon Sep 25 18:05:29 CEST 2017

This thread has had some pretty long replies.

To summarize:

   - code the happy path (ie no nested cases, just what you expect to happen)
   - add exit(Why) code at points in your code where you realise
     something has gone wrong

  This is what I call "let it crash"

   Then - if you need it - processes the error *somewhere else* ie NOT
at the place where it occurred.

   Erlang is a concurrent language - we have many processes running it's not
a biggie if a few of them crash. In a sequential language with one thread
it's a big deal if your one process crashes - so sequential programs spend
all their effort checking things and trying not to crash. We do the opposite :-)

/Joe