[erlang-questions] slave feature

Fisher, Paul pfisher@REDACTED
Fri Sep 22 19:35:47 CEST 2017

I should have clarified our use... we have a version of the slave module that is exactly the same except for that feature. We want to have each node handle its own IO directly to the system.

--

paul

Fellow, Engineering

________________________________
From: erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED <erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED> on behalf of Michael Truog <mjtruog@REDACTED>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 12:26:23 PM
To: Benoit Chesneau; erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] slave feature

On 09/22/2017 08:00 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> i’m looking for some usage examples of the slave feature apart for its use in tests? what was the original purpose?

You should be aware that nodes started with slave try to make the slave node use the master's filesystem automatically, though this doesn't work in all places (as shown in the bug https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__bugs.erlang.org_browse_ERL-2D446&d=DwIFEA&c=L_h2OePR2UWWefmqrezxOsP9Uqw55rRfX5bRtw9S4KY&r=PevFox_7LK44ZV_jlS5jRM2WItKtsHV4zN_CrbdT2aM&m=ZYaInvQKkF5t9wYb-bJCCzIq2vg5EMJ-yPQV5oGSzhE&s=6hwbTzX8VVRetMB-wwsC4dH_o0qsG_TWFYjhbCw7Hbs&e=  which affects tsung).  This behavior doesn't seem to be well documented (nor the -master command line argument used on the erl executable) but it appears to be the main deciding factor for whether slave is usable for a given situation (in addition to the linking that occurs between the master node, making the nodes not exist independently).

Best Regards,
Michael
Confidentiality Notice | This email and any included attachments may be privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure. Access to this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is unauthorized. If you believe you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.