[erlang-questions] Erlang VM in Rust

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Fri Sep 22 16:33:47 CEST 2017

You're quite right  C is memory unsafe, and the large quantity of C code
in IoT devices is as you rightly say a disaster - only it has already happened
no waiting is involved.

I would like to *reduce* the amount of C - write an emulator for language X
in C, then write everything in X. X would be a "better" language than C
in some sense. X should compile to a small instruction set such that
the implementation of the VM would be a simple and hopefully correct program.

if we go back to the P-code machine the design was very simple and the
implementation a few hundred lines of pascal (or C) - I'm pretty sure
one could write a memory safe P-code interpreter in a memory-unsafe
language like C.

Security (since you mentioned it) ultimately relies on trust. Do you trust the
compiler? do you trust the programmers? Do you trust the hardware?

If I were building a secure system I would try to trust as little as possible
putting firewalls and checks between components.

Given a pure choice between a language that offered memory safety
and one that did not I'd obviously choose the memory-safe language
all other things being equal.

Trouble is all other things are not equal.

For me:

Time to solve problem =
   Time to understand problem (T1) +
   Time to learn language X (T2) +
   Time to write program in X (T3)

If I choose C then T2 is very small. Usually T1 >> T3.

The "elephant in the room" is the time to be productive and know the
idioms of programming in X.  T3 is small when you are proficient
in the language otherwise large.

I have said before - I think it takes about 3 weeks to learn a language
6-24 months to know your way around the libraries and 10+ years to know
how to solve a problem in your favorite language.

I dabble with new languages, not to become productive in them,
but to see what new ideas they embody.

Niklas Wirth said many years ago that it was far better to be very good at one
language than having superficial knowledge of many.

Cheers

/Joe