[erlang-questions] Light-weight operating systems supporting Erlang in production web servers

Thu Sep 21 12:23:06 CEST 2017

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 12:50 AM Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED>
wrote:

> One question.  I can get a
> "Raspberry Pi 3 Model B with 1.2GHz 64-bit Quad Core and 1GB Ram"
> for NZD 69 including tax and run Erlang on it.
> (Hmm.  Next time I have some spare cash I must get one...)
>
> Why would I pay NZD300 for a 300MHz board with 64MB of memory?

My prediction is that eventually we'll see the "small embedded" market
squeezed down by rather cheap powerful devices such as the rPI. My argument
for this prediction hinges on power becoming free in the future (due to the
current massive advances in solar and wind energy on top of better
batteries).

Currently, the power draw of the stronger chips is too high and production
at scale means that shaving off a few cents here and there is worth it.

But it looks like the price tag of a 1.2 GHZ 64 bit chip is only going one
way, and this makes the added development effort of targeting a smaller
chip more expensive. In turn, you need an even bigger scale of production.
And so on.

GRiSP is interesting because it can offer you a far faster time to market
and lower development effort at the same or better robustness/resilience.
You can thus get the lower production costs while amortizing development
effort better. It is a good bet until the niche squeeze I predict above
happens.