[erlang-questions] Erlang VM in Rust

Anderson Torres torres.anderson.85@REDACTED
Sat Sep 16 14:42:41 CEST 2017

> This is absolutely 100% wrong. This kind of code *is* hard to get correct. What about out of bound accesses or uses after free or data races like the bug I mentioned?
>
> --
> Anthony Ramine
>
>> Le 16 sept. 2017 à 12:03, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> a écrit :
>>
>> I'm not convinced that a better programming language to implement the VM helps -
>> the tricky bit is getting the VM machine instructions correct - at
>> this level of abstration
>> the VM is just moving memory around comparing things and jumping
>> around - which is pretty
>> easy inn *any* programming language.

It can be easy to implement, but ensure correctness is another thing.
As A. Ramine said, data races can surge almost from everywhere, and
even silly bugs as use-after-free.

If Rust can eliminate these things, it can be worth a looking, and if
not a full, from-scratch replacement, something more incremental: the
interpreters first, the "operating system" part after, and the
libraries can be changed on demand.