[erlang-questions] Choice in Distributed Databases for a Key/Value Store

Phil Toland phil.toland@REDACTED
Fri Sep 15 19:37:36 CEST 2017

I have some experience with Cassandra, and based on your description of
your needs it sounds like Cassandra would be overkill. I think you could
make it work, but it may not be worth the effort.

Cassandra uses a ring architecture similar to Riak. Reads and writes happen
on multiple nodes and the entire transaction doesn't succeed until it has
succeeded on a certain number of nodes. For your read-heavy workload you
would probably want to set that value higher for writes and lower for
reads. For example, you might say that a write happens on 3 nodes and
succeeds when it is successful on all of those nodes. You might feel safe
then saying that a read only needs to succeed on one node to be successful.
This is something you would definitely want to test thoroughly so that you
understand the performance tradeoffs of changing those values.

Also, recent versions of Cassandra have adopted a table model and query
language (CQL) that are superficially similar to RDBMS tables and SQL, but
are actually completely different. This led to a lot of cognitive
dissonance for my team as we would do things that made sense for an RDBMS,
and that we could express in CQL, but were totally the wrong thing to do
for Cassandra's architecture.

Personally, I would look at Riak before Cassandra if you think that the
ring architecture makes sense for you. Because it doesn't have the
trappings of tables and a SQL-like language, we found it much more
straightforward to reason about the strengths and limitations of the
system. It is very much a straightforward key/value data store.

However, you mentioned read consistency being important, and Cassandra and
Riak both trade off read consistency for availability. They are "eventually
consistent" systems (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eventual_consistency). I
suggest you read up on the CAP theorem (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAP_theorem) and decide what tradeoffs you
are willing to make before choosing a database.

Good luck!

~phil

On September 15, 2017 at 11:43:52 AM, code wiget (codewiget95@REDACTED)