[erlang-questions] Cross OTP version compare-and-swap semantic on ETS

Benoit Chesneau bchesneau@REDACTED
Thu Oct 12 13:19:37 CEST 2017

> On 12 Oct 2017, at 11:32, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> You should remember, that when you have a gen_server as a bottleneck, you can inspect his queue.
>
> When you move this bottleneck to raw access to ets, you get locks and they are very hard to introspect.

I hear  point IMO the question is probably more to know until when it becomes a bottleneck ETS offers a simple way to maintain a fast concurrent access to data across processes. I believe it will takes time before achieving any bottleneck in term of concurrent accesses (do we have benches for it?) . But I like your conservative approach also. I need to think a little about it.

Benoit