[erlang-questions] Why RPC in Erlang? [was: How RPC works in erlang?]

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Thu Oct 5 19:50:41 CEST 2017

I guess an obvious question is why does Erlang have an RPC mechanism at
all?  It's so at odds with the basic architecture of message-passing
concurrency.

Miles Fidelman

On 10/5/17 3:02 AM, Brujo Benavides wrote:
> Only for io, AFAIK.
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 at 01:51 Arun <arunp@REDACTED <mailto:arunp@REDACTED>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi Brujo,
>
>     Thanks for the information, but i have one more doubt; is this
>     behavior only for io:format function calls or the execution of the
>     entire function also will be happening in the host node.
>
>     Regards,
>     Arun P.
>

>     On Tuesday 03 October 2017 06:50 PM, Brujo Benavides wrote:
>>     Hi Arun,
>>
>>     That’s /intended/. It happens because of how Erlang redirects all
>>     IO through the process group_leader.
>>     This
>>     <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12491607/remote-nodes-group-leaders-and-printouts> is
>>     the best explanatory link I could find googling quickly.
>>     Hope it helps.
>>     */Brujo Benavides <http://about.me/elbrujohalcon>/*
>>     **
>>>     On Oct 3, 2017, at 10:10, Arun <arunp@REDACTED
>>>     <mailto:arunp@REDACTED>> wrote:
>>>     Hi all, I have two distributed applications running on two
>>>     different nodes. And from one node I tried to call the function
>>>     on the remote node by doing RPC, and its been observed that all
>>>     the debug prints given in the application running on the remote
>>>     node is getting printed on the host node's console. Can somebody
>>>     please tell me in detail why this is happening and how the RPC
>>>     in erlang works. ? Thanks in advance. Arun P.
>
> --
> elbrujohalcon @ iPhone

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra